Location of the National Wildlife Areas of the Îles-de-la-Paix
The archipelago is located in the southwest part of Lake Saint-Louis, across from the municipalities of Beauharnois, Léry, and L'Ile-Perrot, only 25 minutes from Montreal.
- On June 8, 1765, Mother Marguerite d’Youville, director, acquires the Seigneurie de Châteauguay and Îles-de-la-Paix on behalf of the Grey Nuns of Montreal.
- On November 24, 1967, the Government of Canada purchases Îles-de-la-Paix.
- In 1972, the Government of Canada grants the status of Migratory Bird Sanctuary (MBS) to Îles-de-la-Paix, under the management of the Canadian Wildlife Service.
- In 1977, Environment and Climate Change Canada creates the Îles-de-la-Paix National Wildlife Area (NWA).
- Some islands in the archipelago are privately owned, including Île du Docteur, Île Mercier, Île Ronde and, of course, Île Saint-Bernard.